Edit metadata menu

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

GeorgD

Edit metadata menu

Post by GeorgD »

The content of Menu => Edit => Metadata is different for view and browser (with image selected). See Image:

I was looking for the infamous "recreate EXIF thumbnail" for a while, never found it, and stumbled across it when I was looking for something else end thus in the other view. I guess others make similar experiences.

I don't get why it is like this. In both views I can select one image, then there is absolutely no difference in terms of the information XnView has. When multiple images are selected in browser view, I'd understand when some actions are disabled (grey) but I'd prefer to have all actions available and apply the action for all selected images. At least those actions shall not disappear IMHO, as this confuses users.

Thoughts?

/Georg

XnView 1.90 <x>
helmut

Post by helmut »

Good point. And I wonder what "EXIF thumbnail - Left rotate" and "EXIF thumbnail - Right rotate" does. Is "Right rotate" clockwise or counter-clockwise? I think a different wording should be used.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

helmut wrote:And I wonder what "EXIF thumbnail - Left rotate" and "EXIF thumbnail - Right rotate" does. Is "Right rotate" clockwise or counter-clockwise? I think a different wording should be used.
Hm, touching point, I agree to the request "different wording" as for JPEG losless transformations, it's called "rotate 90° left", but for normal (lossy) rotation it's "rotate clockwise". I opt for unification to "rotate 90° left", as
- the same action shall be called always the same (the superior menu defines each context; in the button bar, clarification is needed IMHO: telling whether it will be lossy or not)
- 90° is short and explicitly tells a) the user won't be asked for the angle and b) it's not 180° or 45° or whatever and c) then it's consistent with Menu=>Image=>Rotate
- left/right is way shorter than (counter-)clockwise and is just as well defined (all car navigation systems ask to "turn right" so the direction is clear) and used in most places in XnView and the hotkeys are R and L but not C and CC ;-)

my 0.02 :-) /Georg
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Edit metadata menu

Post by xnview »

GeorgD wrote: I don't get why it is like this. In both views I can select one image, then there is absolutely no difference in terms of the information XnView has. When multiple images are selected in browser view, I'd understand when some actions are disabled (grey) but I'd prefer to have all actions available and apply the action for all selected images. At least those actions shall not disappear IMHO, as this confuses users.

Thoughts?
Not really, in view mode you work on the opened picture, not the file...
Pierre.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

xnview wrote:Not really, in view mode you work on the opened picture, not the file...
When working on a file, I can rotate and recreate EXIF thumb (so I can manipulate it) but not remove it (isn't that just another manipulation?). When working on an picture, I can remove the thumb but not rotate or recreate it. So I can rotate the picture itself in both modes, but not the thumb?!

I'm confused and have to think about that mental separation...I will edit this post later on.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

GeorgD wrote:
xnview wrote:Not really, in view mode you work on the opened picture, not the file...
When working on a file, I can rotate and recreate EXIF thumb (so I can manipulate it) but not remove it (isn't that just another manipulation?). When working on an picture, I can remove the thumb but not rotate or recreate it. So I can rotate the picture itself in both modes, but not the thumb?!

I'm confused and have to think about that mental separation...I will edit this post later on.
Remove thumb, Remove EXIF, IPTC are in Clean dialog
Pierre.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

After a little meditation I really understand this :mrgreen: => topic can be closed
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP