XnViewMP new icon

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

thibaud
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Troken wrote: I must say that the new logo mirrors an issue I have with the name: XnViewMP. Two abbreviations? It isnt a "smooth" name for a program that handles images. Is it that the name XnViewMP is ... I dunno... too technical? Like a molecule or computer term. Dont want to sound too whiney, its just because I care :) I would consider another name when getting closer to a future 1.0 release.
Just an opinion :wink:
I have to Agree with that.
"xnviewMP" isn't really inspiring nor very suggestive.
btw what does XN stand for ?

User avatar
budz45
XnThusiast
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by budz45 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 am

JohnFredC wrote:oops66 wrote:
... or this kind of icons:
because your icons are pretty sad IMHO.
Instead of "icon", perhaps you really meant "logo"? As potential XnView logo elements, those translucent 3-d thingies are OK, I guess, though not very compelling to me personally. Sorry.

An icon is a symbol meant to aid comprehension and identification. An icon is not a photo... it's supposed to symbolize, not illustrate.

IMO, photorealistic effects (such as translucency, or gratuitous 3-d orientations) have little or no place in an XnView icon (or any other). They do not aid comprehension or identification of the icon on the desktop or in a menu.
yes well said,

Guys, I'm an Opera user and since version 10.0 final you will notice the "O" logo was revamped slightly, nothing big, but the "O" logo is now more bolder and stands out. Like the Opera logo design enhancement, the Xnview 'eye' logo could get this treatment to (it's not a complete redsign). I think that there is no rush needed at this moment for such thing.

There are graphic designers lurking everywhere on the net, and for some you don't have to pay a professional with some real talented kids on websites like DeviantArt that can contribute for free. Maybe in the near future a contest can soon be held..IDK
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only

User avatar
budz45
XnThusiast
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by budz45 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:17 am

Or perhaps just as simple as adding a background orb with some glow and slight drop shadow, like this:

Image
Orb could maybe have some reflection effect on it if whole logo was redone as hi res vector

----
This icon from the first poster is nice but is too 'complete makeover' for me (if that makes sense) plus it looks very familiar from somewhere as if I have seen it on another app in the recent past lol
Image
Last edited by budz45 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5600
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by XnTriq » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:30 am

Troken wrote:I must say that the new logo mirrors an issue I have with the name: XnViewMP. Two abbreviations? It isnt a "smooth" name for a program that handles images. Is it that the name XnViewMP is ... I dunno... too technical? Like a molecule or computer term. Dont want to sound too whiney, its just because I care :) I would consider another name when getting closer to a future 1.0 release.
There have been several discussions about the name since Pierre announced his plans for a cross-platform edition (suggestions ranging from XnPhoto to XnView-Qt to XnViewMP).
I was hoping a new name would reflect that it's not just another ordinary photo organizer, because XnView has always been many things to many people.
Wikipedia ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeno]Xeno-[/url]) wrote:Xeno- is a prefix based on the Greek word “Xenos”, meaning stranger. In biology, it is often used to designate species-difference, such as xenotransplantation (transplantation between organisms of different species). In science fiction it has been used to refer to extraterrestrial life.
nConvert
nView
XnView
XenoView

budz45 wrote:There are graphic designers lurking everywhere on the net, and for some you don't have to pay a professional with some real talented kids on websites like DeviantArt that can contribute for free.
Some world-renowned people are even lurking on this very forum 8)

But how to draw more attention from the folks at deviantART or WinCustomize etc.?
budz45 wrote:Maybe in the near future a contest can soon be held..IDK
“Your preferences for the new Wiktionary logo are needed now!
Voting: 07/Dec/2009 — 31/Dec/2009”

Yours truly, XenoTriq :P

User avatar
budz45
XnThusiast
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by budz45 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:02 am

XnTriq wrote:
Troken wrote:I must say that the new logo mirrors an issue I have with the name: XnViewMP. Two abbreviations? It isnt a "smooth" name for a program that handles images. Is it that the name XnViewMP is ... I dunno... too technical? Like a molecule or computer term. Dont want to sound too whiney, its just because I care :) I would consider another name when getting closer to a future 1.0 release.
There have been several discussions about the name since Pierre announced his plans for a cross-platform edition (suggestions ranging from XnPhoto to XnView-Qt to XnViewMP).
I was hoping a new name would reflect that it's not just another ordinary photo organizer, because XnView has always been many things to many people.
Wikipedia ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeno]Xeno-[/url]) wrote:Xeno- is a prefix based on the Greek word “Xenos”, meaning stranger. In biology, it is often used to designate species-difference, such as xenotransplantation (transplantation between organisms of different species). In science fiction it has been used to refer to extraterrestrial life.
nConvert
nView
XnView
XenoView

budz45 wrote:There are graphic designers lurking everywhere on the net, and for some you don't have to pay a professional with some real talented kids on websites like DeviantArt that can contribute for free.
Some world-renowned people are even lurking on this very forum 8)

But how to draw more attention from the folks at deviantART or WinCustomize etc.?
That's what I mean there are talented guys like this everywhere to contribute and people can tend to create something really aspiring just for fun/spare time! Thanks for the references

I was just looking at the design of this particular 'eye' logo here:- http://i50.tinypic.com/5xo207.gif - I like how there is a visible blending letter 'C' as part of the design, could this be done similar with a letter 'X' or 'Xn' with an 'eye' picture I wonder?

Too many good designs for the Wikitionary logo submitted but yes I will still vote 8)
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only

thibaud
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:37 pm

so XN stands for Xeno. is that right ?
as much as mp deserve a new logo/icon a revamped name surely wouldn't hurt.
shall we go on for a voting ?
XenoPhoto sounds alright to me :)

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by JohnFredC » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:38 pm

1. Why change the name? "XnView" is already 'xcellent and has name recognition. Something simple like "XnView Pro" would be best, I think.

2. Removed from the context of the entire logo, Image begins to look like a chicken.
John

thibaud
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 pm

budz45 wrote:Or perhaps just as simple as adding a background orb with some glow and slight drop shadow, like this:
Image
Orb could maybe have some reflection effect on it if whole logo was redone as hi res vector
My first motivation was to get a 16x16 icons that doesn't look like some orange poo soup. I'm not sure adding glow, reflection and drop shadow on something that is already hard to identify at 16x16 will help much that matter.
Image
Maybe I went a bit too far with the refreshing.
but as I have the impression that Pierre is opened to the idea of creating something new for mp, a complete redesign along with a new name might be a good idea.

thibaud
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 pm

yeah it does look like a chicken :)
I'm far from 100% happy with the result.
Last edited by thibaud on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33643
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by xnview » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm

thibaud wrote: but as I have the impression that Pierre is opened to the idea of creating something new for mp, a complete redesign along with a new name might be a good idea.
New design yes :-) but for new name i would like to keep XnView.
Pierre.

User avatar
Troken
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sweden

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by Troken » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:41 pm

xnview wrote:New design yes :-) but for new name i would like to keep XnView.
Yes, the name XnView is established and known, and should be kept. I think the "MP" should perhaps be replaced.
thibaud wrote:My first motivation was to get a 16x16 icons that doesn't look like some orange poo soup. I'm not sure adding glow, reflection and drop shadow on something that is already hard to identify at 16x16 will help much that matter.
I agree, keep it grafical and minimalistic. Dont mix too much gradients or transparency etc. because it wont be clear in the small format. The intention to have a logo which can be downscaled to an clear icon is great, so it works big and small.
thibaud wrote:Maybe I went a bit too far with the refreshing.
On the contrary I think you did just the right thing. Your logo suggestion is good, its a leap forward and it has renewed a discussion well needed. Dont take it as critisism. Im glad many people care, and it is in the nature of this issue that there will be many opposite tastes and views on this. :)

Woohoo, my 600th post!

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by JohnFredC » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:52 pm

XnView Universal

8)
John

User avatar
budz45
XnThusiast
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by budz45 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:15 pm

thibaud wrote: My first motivation was to get a 16x16 icons that doesn't look like some orange poo soup. I'm not sure adding glow, reflection and drop shadow on something that is already hard to identify at 16x16 will help much that matter.
Image
Maybe I went a bit too far with the refreshing.
but as I have the impression that Pierre is opened to the idea of creating something new for mp, a complete redesign along with a new name might be a good idea.
"orange poo soup" - I think you were offended at me saying that Yours looked familiar from somewhere else and unimpressive but theirs no need for childish name calling, you sound petty in life :P The orb one I knocked up is nothing at all and was to help stir ideas, like what Windows have famously done with their logo since Vista.

As Pierre has said the name should be kept.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only

User avatar
Ty
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:18 am
Location: San Luis Obispo, California

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by Ty » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Is there an announcement/description of XnViewMP somewhere? I must have missed it. But I would like to read about what the product is, why it's being developed, why I should use it rather than the Windows version, what benefits there are to the world/programmer/users, etc. I understand what it is, but would like to read something about WHY it is. Thanks.

thibaud
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: XnViewMP new icon

Post by thibaud » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:16 pm

budz45 wrote: "orange poo soup" - I think you were offended at me saying that Yours looked familiar from somewhere else and unimpressive but theirs no need for childish name calling, you sound petty in life :P.
I was referring to the way the original icon looks at 16x16. the older I get the more I like childish names :P
and don't worry, having my work criticized is part of my job, i'd have a hard time if I would feel offended each times it happens.
Last edited by thibaud on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply