Clean save dialog

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8240
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Clean save dialog

Post by helmut »

In 1.90 RC2 we have a checkbox "[ ] Never ask again" in the save dialog.

In topic "Save dialog: "Apply all" for single file" I have tried to clarify what this option does.

I think that this option...
...is dangerous.
If the user activates "[x] Never ask again" he/she might happen to overwrite a file which he/she didn't want to overwrite. The original file will be lost forever. (!)

...should be settable in the options dialog, but not spoil the save dialog.
The save dialog is a dialog which is used very often. It should be as clean and simple as possible. Something like "[x] Never ask again" is good for a browser setting as a reminder, but not for a save dialog.

@Pierre: Please remove this option from the save dialog, a.s.a.p. unless there is really good reasons to keep it.

V 1.90 RC2
User avatar
Clo
XnThusiast
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Good reasons !

Post by Clo »

—> helmut

• Hi !

• This has been discussed already, and led to the INI entry documented in our Manual as following :

     Image

• Only changing the default to 129 could do the trick, and the issue could be solved, could it not ?
- Not online yet, we wait for the final 1.90 to update, and this should allow to add which default is set…

• I love that entry, because I've often to copy a part of an “Import Clipboard” image to use elsewhere,
and don't care of the whole capture…
- So, in the case, such a message coming uselessly continually is a stick in the b** !

:mrgreen: G.
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 36791
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: RC2: Clean save dialog

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:In 1.90 RC2 we have a checkbox "[ ] Never ask again" in the save dialog.

In topic "Save dialog: "Apply all" for single file" I have tried to clarify what this option does.

I think that this option...
...is dangerous.
If the user activates "[x] Never ask again" he/she might happen to overwrite a file which he/she didn't want to overwrite. The original file will be lost forever. (!)

...should be settable in the options dialog, but not spoil the save dialog.
The save dialog is a dialog which is used very often. It should be as clean and simple as possible. Something like "[x] Never ask again" is good for a browser setting as a reminder, but not for a save dialog.

@Pierre: Please remove this option from the save dialog, a.s.a.p. unless there is really good reasons to keep it.
But what's the problem, if the user quit xnview, this option will be resseted!
Perhaps the message 'Do not show this message again' is not good. 'Remember my choice (be careful)' or something like that is perhaps better...
So this option must be in save dialog or option dialog??
Pierre.
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8240
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: RC2: Clean save dialog

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your reply, Pierre.
xnview wrote:But what's the problem, if the user quit xnview, this option will be resseted!
How does the user know that this option is reset after quitting? This would be the first option which works that way.
xnview wrote:Perhaps the message 'Do not show this message again' is not good. 'Remember my choice (be careful)' or something like that is perhaps better...
This option has a strange behaviour (persistent for one session, only) and as written above this option can do real damage (either a change might be lost or an image overwritten by accident). Too many disadvantages for a comfort which currently I cannot see. This option should be completely removed and discussed thoroughly, again.
xnview wrote:So this option must be in save dialog or option dialog??
Remove it from both save dialog and option dialog. Power users like Clo could have a setting in the .ini file.

Sorry for my late "Veto" for this option. I haven't realized before what this option could mean for users.
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

It isn't reset after quitting for me. It is permanent, not just for single session.
ShowSaveDlg=0
ShowAgain=268434269
Perhaps there is a bug here or the above reference is incorrect. I think this 'never show' option is dangerous because it does not have a corresponding reset listed in options. With something as important as saving files, users should be able to change their minds without editing INI file.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Post by Dreamer »

I agree with Helmut, it is confusing and danger and even if you would rename it, what about translations? It's too late.
Dreamer
User avatar
Clo
XnThusiast
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Works here

Post by Clo »

—> marsh

:) Hello B. !

• Here, I tested on this moment with :
ShowAgain=268434398
ShowSaveDlg= 0
- I can assume that the dialogue IS displayed, and the box not ticked when closing a non-saved image.
- In next sessions, the message comes back for the first non-saved closed image, as it should…
- Hence, set the flag as ShowSaveDlg=129 if you fear handling errors, and the trick is played !

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

>Clo
Thanks for the clarification. I looked at it again with a new INI, and it seems to work as follows:
ShowSaveDlg=0 Always ask.
ShowSaveDlg=1 Ask once per session.
ShowSaveDlg=129 Never ask.
ShowSaveDlg=130 Never ask and do not save when navigating to next file.
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

This seems resolved in v.1.90.2 because of a related change with the 'overwrite warning'. Perhaps the INI info is still useful though.
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8240
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:This seems resolved in v.1.90.2 because of a related change with the 'overwrite warning'. Perhaps the INI info is still useful though.
Right, the checkbox has been removed in 1.90 final.

-> Closed.
User avatar
Clo
XnThusiast
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

And also---

Post by Clo »

—> marsh

:) Hello B. !

• Certainly… Below, that I've in my INI about this (please, notice the 1st. extra entry ;) ) :
[Start]

SaveAdvDlg=1

ShowAgain=268434398
ShowSaveDlg=130
… and Ahhhh ! I'm happy ! No more boring messages anyway ! :D

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

Aha! SaveAdvDlg=1 resurrects an alternate dialog for overwrite. Somebody should write this down. :)
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

The current dialog behaviour is:

[Start]
ShowSaveDlg=
0 = Disable dialog for current session
129 = Disable dialog and automatically save changes when closing window.
130 = Disable dialog and do not automatically save changes.

I highly recommend 130