Searchable Cache Database [Enhancement]

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Evds

Searchable Cache Database [Enhancement]

Post by Evds »

Hi,

It would be great if it would be possible to search for pictures with a certain name (wildcards) which are stored in the cache database.

At that point it would also be useful if the pictures you have looked at on a removable media (cd) are also cached in the database.

Ps: superb program
crazytb

Post by crazytb »

Good idea! I don't use cache here (but I like to use), and I don't know how the filenames are stored at cache. You may try to search directly on cache file.

But I think this is a good feature and should be implemented.
helmut

Re: Searchable Cache Database [Enhancement]

Post by helmut »

Evds wrote:It would be great if it would be possible to search for pictures with a certain name (wildcards) which are stored in the cache database.
The cache exists for technical reasons (performance). I can't see the advantage/purpose of searching the cache.
crazytb

Re: Searchable Cache Database [Enhancement]

Post by crazytb »

helmut wrote:
Evds wrote:It would be great if it would be possible to search for pictures with a certain name (wildcards) which are stored in the cache database.
The cache exists for technical reasons (performance). I can't see the advantage/purpose of searching the cache.
Seaching in cache will be for technical reasons (performance). :D The idea is:
1. I put a clipart CD on my drive.
2. I browse it, and generate cliparts for it.
3. I may browse other folders (in HD) as well.
4. I put another CD (but before remove the first CD :D ).
5. I repeat the step 2.

Days after, I want to see if I had some "yellow smile" picture. So, looking directly into cache will be fast and will avoid the work of changing CDs. And also, browsing directly into cache, I will be able to see the path of image before opening the image itself.

The idea of "find in cache" is similiar to Linux "locate" utility. This one has a database with a list of all files of current filesystem. Then, locating is much faster, because it just looks at its database (which is some megabytes?), instead of entire disk (which is some gigabytes!).