Usability: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Usability: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Post by JohnFredC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 pm

I frequently open Xnview directly from the EXE (ie, with no parameters). Also, I have "Launch Browser at Startup" set to OFF (since that significantly slows the XnView startup in most of my folders).

So... when XnView starts for me, the "Basic" toolbar is the only thing displayed.

Unfortunately, the "Favorites" button resides only on the Browser's mini-toolbar. It is not available in the Basic toolbar, nor in the Basic view menu, either.

This means there is no way to navigate to a favorite folder from Basic mode. One has to open the browser to do that.

Please add the Favorites drop-down as an option on every toolbar and also place it in the file menu of every view. Behavior would be to open (or switch) the browser at the selected favorite.

Thanks for listening!
Last edited by JohnFredC on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Post by oops66 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:18 pm

JohnFredC wrote:I frequently open Xnview directly from the EXE (ie, with no parameters). Also, I have "Launch Browser at Startup" set to OFF (since that significantly slows the XnView startup in most of my folders).
So... when XnView starts for me, the "Basic" toolbar is the only thing displayed.
Unfortunately, the "Favorites" button resides only on the Browser's mini-toolbar. It is not available in the Basic toolbar, nor in the Basic view menu, either.
This means there is no way to navigate to a favorite folder from Basic mode. One has to open the browser to do that.
Please add the Favorites drop-down as an option on every toolbar and also place it in the file menu of every view. Behavior would be to open (or switch) the browser at the selected favorite.
Thanks for listening!
I agree.
It will be a nice improvment.
(for "Favorites" & "categories" )
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

User avatar
Clo
XnThusiast
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 am
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

Command ?

Post by Clo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:06 pm

—> JohnFredC

:) Hello John !

• That sounds good, and could be added by the user him¦her¦self whether we would have an internal command for it…
- Also, considering that the list of favourite folders is not a real menu,
but comes from an INI file [ :| ] which can be located in three different places (is the Registry a “location” ?)

• The lack of a good internal commands box is getting more and more annoying
when one wishes to add such handy thingies…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice

User avatar
ouistiti
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:28 pm
Location: Belgique
Contact:

Post by ouistiti » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 pm

:arrow: All

Indeed it's interesting, and I guess that the internal command like Clo says could do the trick
- all subsidiary issues being solved of course -
Currently, only to add a button in the bar…
For the menu(s), no way !
- We must wait for languages as text (with *.MNU files…)

Friendly

Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

1,77245385090552...

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Bump
John

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Usability: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Post by xnview » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm

And if i put history in Browse popup command (with last used)??
Pierre.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Usability: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Post by JohnFredC » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:30 pm

xnview wrote:And if i put history in Browse popup command (with last used)??
Isn't that the way it works now?

My request is for an optional Favorites dropdown combo button on the Basic toolbar.

I usually have so much going on that history isn't necessarily relevant.
John

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Usability: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Post by xnview » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:55 am

JohnFredC wrote:
xnview wrote:And if i put history in Browse popup command (with last used)??
Isn't that the way it works now?
In this popup, you have last used directory. I can add a submenu item for favorites...
Pierre.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 pm

That would work fine!
John

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Usability: Need Favorites in Basic Toolbar

Post by xnview » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:05 am

Please try XnView 1.96 beta
Pierre.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Thank you for this valuable new feature.

I have already started using it and it works great!
John

Post Reply