Troubles with multiple scanning

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Paulyus

Troubles with multiple scanning

Post by Paulyus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:07 pm

I use XnView 1.91.6 full and have some problems with multiple scanning to single PDF - the size of result file is much bigger than i expected!(3 grayscale images of text is about 3,5mb).I tried to use varios types of PDF compression but nothing changed.Is it bug or i do something wrong?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33425
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Troubles with multiple scanning

Post by xnview » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Paulyus wrote:I use XnView 1.91.6 full and have some problems with multiple scanning to single PDF - the size of result file is much bigger than i expected!(3 grayscale images of text is about 3,5mb).I tried to use varios types of PDF compression but nothing changed.Is it bug or i do something wrong?
Do you have tried ZIP or LZW compression? Which size in pixels have the scans?
Pierre.

Guest

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:48 pm

Yes,i did.It doesn`t matter which type of compression i used - result always the same!I scan with resolution 150 dpi.I thought there is problem between Xnview and TWAIN driver of scanner( HP 5590).

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33425
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:Yes,i did.It doesn`t matter which type of compression i used - result always the same!I scan with resolution 150 dpi.I thought there is problem between Xnview and TWAIN driver of scanner( HP 5590).
Ok, it's a bug
Pierre.

Paulyus

Post by Paulyus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanx.Its a pity.If this bug of Xnview only with my scanner or with others too?Will you fix it?Can i test some older version of your very helpfull programm:)?

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: Troubles with multiple scanning

Post by oops66 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:11 pm

Paulyus wrote:I use XnView 1.91.6 full and have some problems with multiple scanning to single PDF - the size of result file is much bigger than i expected!(3 grayscale images of text is about 3,5mb).I tried to use varios types of PDF compression but nothing changed.Is it bug or i do something wrong?
Did you try this for small pdf size ? (strange because JPEG compression works for me) :
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13907
'mouse select some images(Ctrl+mouse) or tag images \ create \ multi-page file' to PDF.
Just set before to save to “Portable Document Format”: Options\PDF(write)\Compression: JPEG and (~90%) to have a small PDF file ( because ZIP compression is by default).
Last edited by oops66 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33425
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:14 pm

Paulyus wrote:Thanx.Its a pity.If this bug of Xnview only with my scanner or with others too?Will you fix it?Can i test some older version of your very helpfull programm:)?
Yes, will be fixed in next 1.92
Pierre.

Guest

Re: Troubles with multiple scanning

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:52 pm

oops66 wrote: Did you try this for small pdf size ? (strange because JPEG compression works for me) :
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13907
'mouse select some images(Ctrl+mouse) or tag images \ create \ multi-page file' to PDF.
Just set before to save to “Portable Document Format”: Options\PDF(write)\Compression: JPEG and (~90%) to have a small PDF file ( because ZIP compression is by default).
I use batch scanning right to PDF.Your method is a bit longer and it not so conveniently like batch scanning.

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: Troubles with multiple scanning

Post by oops66 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:
oops66 wrote: Did you try this for small pdf size ? (strange because JPEG compression works for me) :
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13907
'mouse select some images(Ctrl+mouse) or tag images \ create \ multi-page file' to PDF.
Just set before to save to “Portable Document Format”: Options\PDF(write)\Compression: JPEG and (~90%) to have a small PDF file ( because ZIP compression is by default).
I use batch scanning right to PDF.Your method is a bit longer and it not so conveniently like batch scanning.
Well, I see.
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

Paulyus

Post by Paulyus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Hello to everyone!I back again to my problem with batch scanning in to multipage PDF.
What we have -
XnView 1.92.1, HP 3390.
Settings - "Acquire into...",Multipage PDF with JPEG compression.
When i scan with 200dpi truecolor i have pdf-file about 200kb, but then i scan with 200dpi grayscale i have pdf-file over 2000kb.
I tried to change compression into LZIW,ZIP and others, but in general, nothing changes - smallest pdf-file i have only with JPEG compression and truecolor.
Is it bug or i do something wrong?

PS In version 1.91 pdf-file with JPEG comression and truecolor was over 2000kb too.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33425
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Paulyus wrote:Hello to everyone!I back again to my problem with batch scanning in to multipage PDF.
What we have -
XnView 1.92.1, HP 3390.
Settings - "Acquire into...",Multipage PDF with JPEG compression.
When i scan with 200dpi truecolor i have pdf-file about 200kb, but then i scan with 200dpi grayscale i have pdf-file over 2000kb.
I tried to change compression into LZIW,ZIP and others, but in general, nothing changes - smallest pdf-file i have only with JPEG compression and truecolor.
Is it bug or i do something wrong?

PS In version 1.91 pdf-file with JPEG comression and truecolor was over 2000kb too.
If you try to save the scan in png (for example), and load/save by xnview in pdf, do you have the same size?
Pierre.

Paulyus

Post by Paulyus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 am

OK. i just did a some kind of experiment.
1. "Acquire into..." ;PNG; 200 dpi;true color
png-file - 4,7 mb then save as PDF (jpeg 40%) - pdf-file 266Kb
2. "Acquire into..." ;PNG; 200 dpi;gray
png-file - 2 mb then save as PDF (jpeg 40%) - pdf-file 4,8mb!!!!

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33425
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:10 am

Paulyus wrote:OK. i just did a some kind of experiment.
1. "Acquire into..." ;PNG; 200 dpi;true color
png-file - 4,7 mb then save as PDF (jpeg 40%) - pdf-file 266Kb
2. "Acquire into..." ;PNG; 200 dpi;gray
png-file - 2 mb then save as PDF (jpeg 40%) - pdf-file 4,8mb!!!!
Could you send the original png file?
Pierre.

Paulyus

Post by Paulyus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am

I've done it to REMOVED with 9 mb of attachments.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33425
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Paulyus wrote:I've done it to REMOVED with 9 mb of attachments.
Ok, i've replied. Your picture is a 256 colors picture
Pierre.

Post Reply