Always display newest file in folder

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
Guest

Always display newest file in folder

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi,

is there a way to configure XNview to always display the newest file in a folder? I have a camera I often use for tethered shooting, but the manufacturer's software is not good at all. It works alright for storing the images on a PC, but is displaying them satisfactory. I'd rather look at the images using XNview.

Thanks,
Tobi

Guest

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:but is displaying them satisfactory
but is not displaying them satisfactory

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33468
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by xnview » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 am

You means start xnview on a folder, and with external tools add pictures in this folder?
Pierre.

Guest

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:29 am

xnview wrote:You means start xnview on a folder, and with external tools add pictures in this folder?
Yes, exactly like that. The pictures are being stored directly to the computer when I press the camera's shutter.

Tobi

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33468
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by xnview » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:58 am

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:You means start xnview on a folder, and with external tools add pictures in this folder?
Yes, exactly like that. The pictures are being stored directly to the computer when I press the camera's shutter.
I files are added in a folder (currently viewed by XnView), XnView must update the file list...
Pierre.

Guest

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:07 am

xnview wrote:I files are added in a folder (currently viewed by XnView), XnView must update the file list...
Something like that would be great, but I guess it's not possible right now, is it? An 'always display newest file' feature would be really neat.

Tobi

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33468
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by xnview » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:36 pm

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:I files are added in a folder (currently viewed by XnView), XnView must update the file list...
Something like that would be great, but I guess it's not possible right now, is it? An 'always display newest file' feature would be really neat.
I means XnView already update the file list, so it's strange that doesn't work for oyu
Pierre.

Guest

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 pm

xnview wrote:I means XnView already update the file list, so it's strange that doesn't work for oyu
Ah, ok, that's what you meant. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

On my machine, XNview only updates the file list if I hit F5. It does not if there's a new file being stored into the directory. Do I need to have any special settings?

Tobi

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33468
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by xnview » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:I means XnView already update the file list, so it's strange that doesn't work for oyu
Ah, ok, that's what you meant. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

On my machine, XNview only updates the file list if I hit F5. It does not if there's a new file being stored into the directory. Do I need to have any special settings?
No, and if you add a file with windows explorer, xnview detect it?
Pierre.

Guest

Re: Always display newest file in folder

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 pm

xnview wrote:No, and if you add a file with windows explorer, xnview detect it?
No, it does not.

I tried by running XNview while copying a file into the folder XNview was displaying. When I copied it, XNview didn't notice.

Tobi

Dstruct
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 9:27 am

Post by Dstruct » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:02 pm

I have this problem with the folder thumnails. XnView doesn't automatically refresh them if the first file of a folder got changed :(

Post Reply