I will use "category" here to refer to the DB category and "keyword" to refer to the IPTC keywords/XMP-Subject.
In Options => Metadata => IPTC&XMP, in the keywords box, all options are ticked. In other words I want complete synchronization between DB categories and IPTC/XMP metadata.
I also want the parent keywords automatically included.
My layout in the browser window has the file list view as set to details, and I have enabled keywords and captions in the view.
I have the Categories pane visible for clicking to apply a category.
When I apply keywords, I use the ctrl-I window, and the selection list in the keywords tab is set to "Categories (database)"
- When I apply a category to the selected file, it does not immediately update the keywords - in fact it only seems to update the keywords after I browse to another folder or exit the program. (Edit: This is not fully correct - see more detail in next post )There are two problems with this:
- I would like to see the list updated so I know which images have been categorized. (The "categories" column is the basically useless IPTC categories)
- If I then edit image caption using ctrl-I, there sometimes are no IPTC keywords visible in the keywords tab, and when I save-all then XnView sees no keywords and removes the categories that I have recently applied (see next post for more details).
It would fix these issues if you were able to update the files immediately, or perhaps when the categories pane loses focus
- The program uses different parent-child separators depending on the process - this causes problems.
- copying over from categories to keywords I get parent,child in the keywords
- copying over from keywords to categories I get parent|child in the keywords
- The children of the last category in the list never have the parent applied, so I have worked around that by creating a "zz_blank" category to make sure it is the last one.