Duplicate finder

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
FOTerminite
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Duplicate finder

Post by FOTerminite » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi,

My image library has many, many duplicate images in it. I'd like to remove some, but it is hard because other image duplicate finders dont know which ones I have tagged or not. It would be nice if there was a build in function to allow us to find duplicate images in our library, and see which one has more tags.

Thanks

Marsu42
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 am

Re: Duplicate finder

Post by Marsu42 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 am

FOTerminite wrote:My image library has many, many duplicate images in it. I'd like to remove some, but it is hard because other image duplicate finders dont know which ones I have tagged or not. It would be nice if there was a build in function to allow us to find duplicate images in our library, and see which one has more tags.
Surely "nice to have" in XnView, but try "dupeGuru Picture Edition" for an existing excellent choice.

Imho the one thing that XnViewMP should be *really* able to do is detect exact dupes on copy/move, the current behavior of letting the user click "skip" each time on 100% equal pictures is bordering on stupidity.

Janakatta
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 am

Re: Duplicate finder

Post by Janakatta » Tue May 12, 2015 5:23 am

More duplicate functions would be great.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Duplicate finder

Post by helmut » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Marsu42 wrote:...Imho the one thing that XnViewMP should be *really* able to do is detect exact dupes on copy/move, the current behavior of letting the user click "skip" each time on 100% equal pictures is bordering on stupidity.
+1 Computer can do wonderful things but they still ask the user whether an identical file should be overwritten or not. :-/ (E.g. Comparison pf file size + MDI5 checksum on parts of the file could be used to verify identity.)

User avatar
m.Th.
XnThusiast
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:31 am
Contact:

Re: Duplicate finder

Post by m.Th. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:21 pm

m. Th.

The Ascetic Experience - The best photos and texts from Holy Mountain (Athos)

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 0.90 64bit & XnView 2.00 x64 on Win7 x64 -

User avatar
m.Th.
XnThusiast
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:31 am
Contact:

Re: Duplicate finder

Post by m.Th. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Marsu42 wrote:
FOTerminite wrote:My image library has many, many duplicate images in it. I'd like to remove some, but it is hard because other image duplicate finders dont know which ones I have tagged or not. It would be nice if there was a build in function to allow us to find duplicate images in our library, and see which one has more tags.
Surely "nice to have" in XnView, but try "dupeGuru Picture Edition" for an existing excellent choice.
Hmmm... yeah, nice program. However it is in the same ballpark with other similar programs. What would be a killer feature is to have already the file signatures (hashes) in the catalog, hence when you copy/move (like you say) or, more generally, when you add a picture to the catalog, the new entries would be compared with the existing ones in the catalog - thing which would be much, much more faster than the simple all-to-all compare process which dupeGuru (or any other program) is forced to use.
Imho the one thing that XnViewMP should be *really* able to do is detect exact dupes on copy/move, the current behavior of letting the user click "skip" each time on 100% equal pictures is bordering on stupidity.
You can use 'Skip All' perhaps?? :)
m. Th.

The Ascetic Experience - The best photos and texts from Holy Mountain (Athos)

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 0.90 64bit & XnView 2.00 x64 on Win7 x64 -

Marsu42
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 am

Re: Duplicate finder

Post by Marsu42 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:58 am

m.Th. wrote:
Imho the one thing that XnViewMP should be *really* able to do is detect exact dupes on copy/move, the current behavior of letting the user click "skip" each time on 100% equal pictures is bordering on stupidity.
You can use 'Skip All' perhaps?? :)
Nope, not when the finenames are generic. Imagine researching the net for files of a certain theme, you end up with 01.jpg and the like. Now cull these with xnvew, i.e. copy selected ones to a destination folder already containing multiple 01.jpg ... 01(01).jpg and so on. Ideally, it should be able to auto-skip or auto rename all these ...

... but really, a very basic "skip comparison dialog on move/copy" should be rather easy to implement? XnView asking you about "would you replace this identical file with the other identical file" feels so stupid and is a waste of time ... just sayin' :-)

Post Reply