Need to change the location of settings

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

B.Douille

Need to change the location of settings

Postby B.Douille » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm using Xnview with Windows Seven and the various options for the location of the ini file seems not working as expected. See below, it's always in the user's profile.
I want to have a single setup for all users in my family. Mainly I want the file modified dates to be preserved if a changes are made in the public picture library.

Setting: .ini in directory User
About says "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XnView\xnview.ini"
Actual location "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XnView" :)

Setting: .ini in directory Windows
About says "C:\windows\xnview.ini"
Actual location "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows" :( not sharable

Setting: .ini in directory XnView
About says "C:\Program Files\XnView\xnview.ini"
Actual location "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\XnView" :( not sharable

Best regards
Last edited by B.Douille on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cday
XnThusiast

Re: Info about XnView's settings (store & load)

Postby cday » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Is this a UAC issue?

In Windows 7 writing to the Program or Windows folders requires Admin rights, but when XnView is run from a User account the usual UAC request for the Admin password doesn't appear, the expected write operation doesn't occur but there is no indication that it hasn't been performed...

B.Douille

Postby B.Douille » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 pm

cday wrote:Is this a UAC issue?

I think so. In the case I did the test with an administrative account so the password was not required. At least should I have seen the popup to confirm the access. This does not happen.

If the Windows directory is protected, why not use the C:\ProgramData (equiv. to "All Users\Application Data") ?

B.Douille

Postby B.Douille » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

B.Douille wrote:If the Windows directory is protected, why not use the C:\ProgramData (equiv. to "All Users\Application Data") ?

Same with XnView MP - only workaround is to deploy via the ZIP package in a non-protected, public directory. Annoying.

DB

B.Douille

Postby B.Douille » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm back with the question of the actual path used by the system (Windows 7 as an example). I put a message some time ago but apparently it didn't triggered that much attention. Further comments were posted with information not verified, assuming that nothing have changed in the Windows world 8)
The current choice, where to store the XnView configuration file is virtual and drive to the same result: It's always in the user profile folder :x

This is because Windows nows restains access to system and program folders as read only. To preserve compatibility it creates virtual links to specific folders that emulates these now restricted folders, keeping r/w access.
These new folders are in the individual user profile. See below:

Setting: .ini in directory User
About says "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XnView\xnview.ini"
Actual location "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XnView" that's correct :)

Setting: .ini in directory Windows
About says "C:\windows\xnview.ini" Have a look, you'll never find the .ini file here
Actual location "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows" :( emulation not sharable

Setting: .ini in directory XnView
About says "C:\Program Files\XnView\xnview.ini" Have a look, you'll never find the .ini file here
Actual location "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\XnView" :( emulation not sharable

I suggest that we keep 2 options only (current options 2 and 3 are equivalent and finally doesn't allow to share settings to all users) :
.ini in the User directory for individual preferences (actual path = %APPDATA%\XnView as for now)
.ini in All users directory to share preferences between users (actual path = %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\XnView)

Return to “Classic - Suggestions”