GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
igel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:13 am

GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by igel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:54 am

Is it possible to use XnViewMP with GhostScript portable?
I'd like to view the thumbs for .ai and .eps files as well and hence my question.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

cday
XnThusiast
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Cheltenham, U.K.

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by cday » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 pm

igel wrote:Is it possible to use XnViewMP with GhostScript portable?

I'd like to view the thumbs for .ai and .eps files as well and hence my question.
What do actually you need to do?

If you need to use XnView MP as a portable application with Ghostscript support, I doubt if that is currently possible... :(

If you simply need Ghostscript support for an installed version of XnView MP, then the normal Ghostscript installer can be used.

XnView software only works with an installed version of Ghostscript, and an attempt to modify XnView Classic to work with uninstalled Ghostscript a couple of years or so back wasn't successful.

Otherwise, it should be possible to use the PortableApps versions of XnView Classic and Ghostscript, if that might provide a solution.

igel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:13 am

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by igel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 pm

cday wrote: If you need to use XnView MP as a portable application with Ghostscript support, I doubt if that is currently possible... :(
I'm using XnView MP as a portable application and would like to point it to the location of the portable Ghostscript so it can display the thumbs for ai. and .eps files.
cday wrote: Otherwise, it should be possible to use the PortableApps versions of XnView Classic and Ghostscript, if that might provide a solution.
As mentioned above I'm using XnView MP portable (not the one from PortableApps but the one offered on this site - the zipped package).
It seems that there is no way to tell XnView MP where to look for the location of the portable GhostScript. Too bad. :(

cday
XnThusiast
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Cheltenham, U.K.

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by cday » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:07 am

igel wrote:As mentioned above I'm using XnView MP portable (not the one from PortableApps but the one offered on this site - the zipped package).

It seems that there is no way to tell XnView MP where to look for the location of the portable GhostScript. Too bad. :(
The following thread describes the earlier unsuccessful attempt to enable XnView Classic to be used as a portable application with Ghostscript support:

XnView portable version with Ghostscript

If Pierre was able to spend more time on it he might possibly be able to find a solution, and be able to extent support to XnView MP, but he has a very high workload at present... :(

igel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:13 am

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by igel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 pm

XnView MP portable works with GhostScript if the latter is installed but not with GhostScript portable.
It works because it can find GhostScript in Windows' registry and it doesn't if there is no registry entry (portable GhostScript).

I assume this could be fixed by Pierre but I also realize that this is a very low (if any) priority issue.

By surfing the forum I also realize that very few people here are using XnView MP as a file browser for vector graphics.
This is surprizing since there are a lot of image viewers/editors but AFAIK there is no file browser (except XnView MP), you can use for both - raster and vector graphics.

BTW,
I'm still sticking with XnView MP v0.79 since all later versions have some functionality for browsing vector graphics broken.
Also surprizing that nobody bothers or has even noticed. :)

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by XnTriq » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 pm

igel wrote:I'm still sticking with XnView MP v0.79 since all later versions have some functionality for browsing vector graphics broken.
Also surprizing that nobody bothers or has even noticed. :)
Which vector formats (besides PostScript) are you referring to?
SVG is excluded by default. You have to remove the file type extension from the list in ToolsSettings...File listCustom filterExclude.

igel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:13 am

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by igel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 pm

@XnTriq

I've already posted about the issues I encountered with later versions. Please take a look here and here.
Both things mentioned above are working flawlessly in XnViewMP v0.79 and are broken/not supported in all later versions.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by XnTriq » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Confirmed.

Speaking of vector formats: The CadSoftTools plug-ins for XnView Classic aren't supported yet by MP.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32081
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by xnview » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 am

XnTriq wrote: Speaking of vector formats: The CadSoftTools plug-ins for XnView Classic aren't supported yet by MP.
no CAD soft tools are supported
Pierre.

igel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:13 am

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by igel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am

After testing thoroughly MP 0.79 and the latest MP 0.87 I must correct some of my statements.

Contrary to what I stated before, you can browse .svg and .svgz files in later versions but only in fullscreen-mode.
Other vector formats like .ai and .eps can be browsed in both fullscreen and none fullscreen mode.

In MP 0.79 you can browse .svg and .svgz files in both fullscreen and none fullscreen mode but you can't browse other formats like .ai and .eps at all.

In so far, compared to MP 0.79, MP 0.87 has the advantage of being able to browse file by file all (I've tested only with .ai, .eps, .svg, and .svgz) vector formats.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by XnTriq » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:30 pm

igel wrote:In so far, compared to MP 0.79, MP 0.87 has the advantage of being able to browse file by file all (I've tested only with .ai, .eps, .svg, and .svgz) vector formats.
Thanks for checking, igel :-)
xnview wrote:
XnTriq wrote:Speaking of vector formats: The CadSoftTools plug-ins for XnView Classic aren't supported yet by MP.
no CAD soft tools are supported
I copied CADImage.dll into the Plugins subdirectry, but XnView MP (32-bit) doesn't create thumbnails and refuses to open the samples that come with ABViewer (3DLamborgini.dwg + Gasket.dwg + Entities.dxf) :-?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32081
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by xnview » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am

XnTriq wrote:
igel wrote:In so far, compared to MP 0.79, MP 0.87 has the advantage of being able to browse file by file all (I've tested only with .ai, .eps, .svg, and .svgz) vector formats.
Thanks for checking, igel :-)
xnview wrote:
XnTriq wrote:Speaking of vector formats: The CadSoftTools plug-ins for XnView Classic aren't supported yet by MP.
no CAD soft tools are supported
I copied CADImage.dll into the Plugins subdirectry, but XnView MP (32-bit) doesn't create thumbnails and refuses to open the samples that come with ABViewer (3DLamborgini.dwg + Gasket.dwg + Entities.dxf) :-?
Right, it will be fixed...
Pierre.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: GhostScript portable & XnViewMP

Post by XnTriq » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 pm

xnview wrote:Right, it will be fixed...
Thanks, Pierre: CADIMAGE.DLL can't be used

Post Reply