[0.94b2] Thumbnails not loading occasionally

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Johan_et_Pirlouit

[0.94b2] Thumbnails not loading occasionally

Post by Johan_et_Pirlouit »

Hello everyone, hello Pierre,

I also reproduce this issue with the last 0.94.1: no thumbnails are loaded at startup, whatever the file type (with or without integrated thumbnail). Only the file type icons are shown.

At startup, no thumbnails are loaded until I click on any on those or I move the scroll bar of the thumbnails view or if I move the separation bar between the tree and the thumbnails view until it changes the number of thumbnails columns. If I move the scroll bar of the tree view, no thumbnails are loaded. But when I click on another folder of the tree view, they are loaded correctly.

My settings:
- Layout: free layout with tree view on the left and thumbnails view on the right. No floating window.
- Startup: open the explorer into the last used folder.
- XnViewMP version: 0.94.1 (it is the same with 0.94".0". Everything was OK until 0.93.1. All are x64 versions).

Some steps to reproduce:
- Start XnViewMP.
- Wait for thumbnails to appear....... Only the file type icons are shown, whatever the file type (images, photos, videos, others, with or without integrated thumbnail)...
- Move the scroll bar of the tree view: nothing loads.
-- Either: Click on any thumbnail: they all load.
-- Or: Move the scroll bar of the thumbnails view: they all load.
-- Or: Move the separation bar between the tree and the thumbnails views: nothing loads until it changes the number of thumbnails columns, then they all load.
-- Or: Click on any other folder in the tree view: they all load from this folder.
-- Or: Open XnViewMP options and close this window in any way (even without any changes or by simply cancelling): they all load.

It seems to me that the "thumbnail generator/manager" fails to execute at XnViewMP startup like it should...

Salutations.. :wink:
Mes propos n'engageant que moi, le Webmaster ne saurait en être tenu pour responsable..
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: [0.94b2] Thumbnails not loading occasionally

Post by xnview »

Johan_et_Pirlouit wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:06 am I also reproduce this issue with the last 0.94.1: no thumbnails are loaded at startup, whatever the file type (with or without integrated thumbnail). Only the file type icons are shown.
could you post a screenshot at startup? 'settings>Thumbnails>Create thumbnails for whole folder' is enabled?
Pierre.
Johan_et_Pirlouit

Post by Johan_et_Pirlouit »

xnview wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 am
Johan_et_Pirlouit wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:06 am I also reproduce this issue with the last 0.94.1: no thumbnails are loaded at startup, whatever the file type (with or without integrated thumbnail). Only the file type icons are shown.
could you post a screenshot at startup? 'settings>Thumbnails>Create thumbnails for whole folder' is enabled?
Hello Pierre,

Here are three screenshots:

1. XnViewMP 0.93.x at startup:

2. XnViewMP 0.94.x at startup:

3. XnViewMP settings:

And, to answer your question, if I enable the "Create thumbnails for whole folder" setting, thumbnails are correctly loaded at startup for 0.94.x and nothing changes for 0.93.x...

By the way, I did never used the "Create thumbnails for whole folder" setting and, as I remember, it was always disabled. So upgrading to 0.94.x introduces a strange behavior if activating "Create thumbnails for whole folder" is now mandatory. But it seems to be mandatory only for app startup, it doesn't act for any other actions because thumbnails are loaded anyway after some actions that I described in my previous post...

:?
Mes propos n'engageant que moi, le Webmaster ne saurait en être tenu pour responsable..
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.94.2. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.