Can't open EPS files?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Isis

Can't open EPS files?

Post by Isis » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:02 am

Hello,
I just installed Version 1.68.1 but XnView seems to have problems with EPS Pictures?

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Can't open EPS files?

Post by helmut » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:15 pm

Isis wrote:Hello,
I just installed Version 1.68.1 but XnView seems to have problems with EPS Pictures?
Do you have Ghostscript installed on your computer? For reading EPS files, Ghostscript is needed.

Ramjee

Ghost script

Post by Ramjee » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:29 pm

I have the same problem when I try to convert an EPS file. It appears this requires a GhostScript. What is a GhostScript and where could it be downloaded.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Ramjee

User avatar
Aokromes
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:40 am
Location: Vitoria-Gasteiz Beyond Stargate Network ;)

Post by Aokromes » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:09 pm

You can get Ghostscript from: http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/gnu/index.htm

Ramjee

Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by Ramjee » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:42 pm

thanks for the download link. I have succesfully downloaded Ghost and installed it on the server. Now the big question is how to use Ghost along with this component. Is there any code/examples to look at. Please Help!

Thanks!

Ramjee

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31504
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by xnview » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:06 am

Ramjee wrote:thanks for the download link. I have succesfully downloaded Ghost and installed it on the server. Now the big question is how to use Ghost along with this component. Is there any code/examples to look at. Please Help!
XnView automatically uses Ghostscript if it is installed.
Pierre.

Hasan Ali

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by Hasan Ali » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:38 pm

Hello :)

In my case, Xnview is not doing it. I have installed Ghost Script too, but neighter it shows preview of .eps files nor convert them. I have WinXP and latest versions of Xnview and Ghost Script.

However, on my Office PC, I can see preview and convert them too:) There I have Win98 :) and a bit older versions of Xnview and Ghost Script. Please help me :(


Hasan Ali
xnview wrote: XnView automatically uses Ghostscript if it is installed.
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by helmut » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:20 pm

Hasan Ali wrote:In my case, Xnview is not doing it. I have installed Ghost Script too, but neighter it shows preview of .eps files nor convert them. I have WinXP and latest versions of Xnview and Ghost Script.
..
- Which type and version of GhostScript did you install?
- Did you reboot Windows (just to make sure)?

Hasan

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by Hasan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:07 pm

Hi :)

Yes, I have re-started my PC many times during this weekend.

On my Office PC, I have Xnview 1.66 and Ghost Script 8.00 and Ghost View 4.6 running on Win-98 and its working fine (I can see .eps files' preview and convert them)

On my Home PC, I have Xnview 1.74 and Ghostscript 8.15, running on WinXP. To be on safe side, I also installed GSView 4.6 but no luck :(

I also tried following two other possible solutions I saw on this MB, i.e., but :(

unchecking option of "Recognize only by extension"
unchecking option of "no thumbnail for file larger than 1024 Kb"

Hasan Ali
helmut wrote: - Which type and version of GhostScript did you install?
- Did you reboot Windows (just to make sure)?

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by helmut » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Hasan wrote:On my Home PC, I have Xnview 1.74 and Ghostscript 8.15, running on WinXP. To be on safe side, I also installed GSView 4.6 but no luck.
Thank you for your detailed info. Do you use AFPL Ghostscript?
Hasan wrote:...
unchecking option of "Recognize only by extension"
unchecking option of "no thumbnail for file larger than 1024 Kb"
As written in FAQ 'How to display vector formats? GhostScript!', you should be able to see the preview when clicking on a PDF right after installation. No need to set other options in XnView.

Guest

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi :)

Thankyou Dear, Problem solved :) I was using GPL Ghost rather than AFPL.

Will you please explain the difference between AFPL & GPL and the problem with xnview ?

Hasan Ali

ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am

Post by ckit » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:18 am

I just installed "AFPL Ghostscript v8.50" to play with and have found XnView to run like a dog with large-ish PDF's (2.3Mb) It also appears to give XnView's Shell Extension a headache too :(

Sorry if I'm off-topic.
Windows 10 Pro x64 1903
XnViewMP and Classic and PhotoFiltre Studio X

Lostclown
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Iceland

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by Lostclown » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:Will you please explain the difference between AFPL & GPL and the problem with xnview ?
The difference between AFPL and GPL versions is only the licence.
But new releases are first released under AFPL license and only later under the GPL license. So the latest GPL version is not as recent as the latest AFPL version.

And probably the GPL version you were using was to old to work with XnView.

Regards,
Lostclown

Hasan

Re: Ghostscript/EPS conversion with GFlax

Post by Hasan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:22 pm

Thank you very much for explaining :)

avryabov
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:59 am

Problems with EPS-files

Post by avryabov » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:32 am

I setup AFPL Ghostscript 8.54, but eps files in Xnview still show only tiff icon.
GSview works well.
What I do wrong?
Maybe, I must use previous version of Ghostscript?

Post Reply