Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:50 pm

From time to time the video included in slide shows are not shown. Only the sound can be heard. This happens to any of AVI or MPEG files. Even with the simple "CLOCK.AVI" that is in the Windows directory. It seems that Quicktime files are always played.
On a list of .JPG/.AVI/.JPG/.MPG/.JPG/... you may go forward and backward and 1 time out of 3 you see the video. The sounds are always there as well as JPEG images.
On my home PC it always works fine. I've got a laptop that do have the problem in 90% case (both WinXP-SP2). I tried on my prof PC (WinXP too) and it happens randomly. I tried another (Win2000) and it's all fine.
I tried different version of XnView, always with the same .sld list : v1.74 works fine on any machine. v1.80.2 and 1.82.4 do have the problem. It's not linked to any option (fullscreen, timer, stretch, center, ...)
I installed different version of players on a clean installation of XP on my laptop and set them as the default player. I tried WMplayer v9 and v10, Realplayer, Quicktime. It's always the same issue, no improvement.
I use a memoryKey the same as with a CD to show my images : XnView.exe, a directory with samples media, a .sld file and a launch script. The issue is not linked to this use, nor it is linked to the start from command line or the fact XnView is fully installed or not on the target machine. Copying files on the local C: drive does the same and even if the slide show is created and run from the installed package it happens.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31019
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by xnview » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:45 am

B.Douille wrote:From time to time the video included in slide shows are not shown. Only the sound can be heard. This happens to any of AVI or MPEG files. Even with the simple "CLOCK.AVI" that is in the Windows directory. It seems that Quicktime files are always played.
On a list of .JPG/.AVI/.JPG/.MPG/.JPG/... you may go forward and backward and 1 time out of 3 you see the video. The sounds are always there as well as JPEG images.
On my home PC it always works fine. I've got a laptop that do have the problem in 90% case (both WinXP-SP2). I tried on my prof PC (WinXP too) and it happens randomly. I tried another (Win2000) and it's all fine.
I tried different version of XnView, always with the same .sld list : v1.74 works fine on any machine. v1.80.2 and 1.82.4 do have the problem. It's not linked to any option (fullscreen, timer, stretch, center, ...)
I installed different version of players on a clean installation of XP on my laptop and set them as the default player. I tried WMplayer v9 and v10, Realplayer, Quicktime. It's always the same issue, no improvement.
I use a memoryKey the same as with a CD to show my images : XnView.exe, a directory with samples media, a .sld file and a launch script. The issue is not linked to this use, nor it is linked to the start from command line or the fact XnView is fully installed or not on the target machine. Copying files on the local C: drive does the same and even if the slide show is created and run from the installed package it happens.
Which OS do you have when movie is not shown?
Pierre.

B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:52 pm

The OS is XP-SP1 or XP-SP2.
I've forgotten one thing : I'm always able to see the videos in the preview screen

B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Further tests shows it always works in "Quick slide show" mode. I tried 2 more systems (both WinXP-SP2) and on one it always works fine from my memorykey, on the other we have not been able to see the videos.
The is a strange comportment regarding the .ini file. When starting the slide show from the command line, sometime the .ini file is created, sometime not.
Also, sometime the cache directory is created and found empty.
I'm not sure it's linked with the current issue but with version 1.74 both was always created.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31019
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by xnview » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 pm

B.Douille wrote:Further tests shows it always works in "Quick slide show" mode. I tried 2 more systems (both WinXP-SP2) and on one it always works fine from my memorykey, on the other we have not been able to see the videos.
The is a strange comportment regarding the .ini file. When starting the slide show from the command line, sometime the .ini file is created, sometime not.
Also, sometime the cache directory is created and found empty.
I'm not sure it's linked with the current issue but with version 1.74 both was always created.
And you have no problem to watch the video in browser mode?
Pierre.

B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:42 pm

No pb in preview/browser/quick slideshow. The pb occurs only with the slideshow. Started from either the command line or from the interface. I can replicate anytime with my laptop :
Put some files in a folder : 2 JPEG and 1 AVI. Qty is not an issue
I start XnView, select the folder and click once on each file. The video plays in the browser view. If I click on the full screen button and use PgUp/PgDn I see the still images as well as the video. No pb. Esc to quit this mode.
I double click on a fixed image or on the video, it opens and play. OK. I can use the next/previous buttons, the video plays, no pb.
I click on the "Quick slide show" button and the show goes on ! No pb. I can click on the full screen button to have it in full screen. No pb. Esc to quit this mode.
I click on the "Slide show" button, select the 3 files and just click on "Go" and... the still images are well displayed, the video is blank, sound only!

Last points :
At the moment the display passes from a (blanked) video to the next (video or still) I can spot a view from the video.
If a video file is selected in the view when you start the slide show it works! So to reproduce there should be at least one JPEG file you select in the view before launching the slide show.

Closer and closer to the root cause of the issue...

B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:20 am

Last news : I intend to sent a CD to relatives and so I confirm that, even on a read-only support the videos are not visible. The workaround is to start xnview from the CD and run a "Quick Slide show". NOT the normal slide show:!:
There are, for sure, a difference in the way the display is managed from these 2 modes. The pb comes from there.
So for now I keep v1.74 to include in my CDs, until this bug is fixed.

B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Hello,
Since my last update I used each opportunity to try and analyse. I also tried with latest alpha 1.90.2 and the problem still.
- Videos always displayed in "quickslideshow" mode. In normal slideshow it sometime fails (blank screen with sound). This looks linked to different code used for display in quick or normal mode.
- The file type has an influence: It ~never happens with Quicktime files and I never see it with newly supported .3GP (many thanks for it).
- Obviously it seems linked to the type of hardware. It occurs most frequently on laptops with ATI mobility or S3 Savage. It occurs also with Matrox card (tried on a desktop that usualy wrks fine using Intel Graphics). Updating/downgrading the drivers has no influence on frequence of occurence.
- Another factor looks random and I can't trace down any root cause I tried (CPU loading, drive resp. time, memory use, number of application, screen settings,...). A slideshow with still and videos you go forward and backward as you want and sometime the video isn't displayed. Try to go forward / backward to re-read the file and at the 3rd or 8th time it's ok. But it may fail on the next loop.

Regards,
Daniel

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31019
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by xnview » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:50 am

B.Douille wrote:Last news : I intend to sent a CD to relatives and so I confirm that, even on a read-only support the videos are not visible. The workaround is to start xnview from the CD and run a "Quick Slide show". NOT the normal slide show:!:
There are, for sure, a difference in the way the display is managed from these 2 modes. The pb comes from there.
So for now I keep v1.74 to include in my CDs, until this bug is fixed.
And which video format do you try to view in slideshow?
Pierre.

B.Douille

Video are not show in slide show / diaporama

Post by B.Douille » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:21 pm

File types are .AVI (MJPEG, MSRLE, Uncompressed,... ?) .MPG or .MPEG(Mpeg-1), coming form different sources but mostly from APNs.
A good example is %windir%\CLOCK.AVI present on every Windows distribution. Very easy to reproduce the issue on systems that suffers from.
As mentioned in my last post, it never happens with .MOV files (Quicktime) and I checked with the alpha v1.90 and haven't seen any evidence of the problem on .3GP files.

Daniel

Bellow is a copy of a .SLD file that I use for testing:

# Slide Show Sequence
Timer = 5.000000
Loop = 1
FullScreen = 1
TitleBar = 0
Fit = 1
StrechVideo = 0
High = 1
CenterWindow = 1
ReadErrors = 0
RandomOrder = 0
ShowText = 1
Text = <Filename>
BackgroundColor = 0
FontName = "Courier"
FontBold = 0
FontItalic = 0
FontHeight = -13
TextColor = ffffff
TextPosition = 0
Effect = 1
EffectMask = 268435455
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\01- JPEG VGA.jpg"
"C:\WINDOWS\clock.avi"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\03- JPEG SXGA.jpg"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\04- AVI.avi"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\05- JPEG.jpg"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\06- MPEG-1.mpg"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\07-JPEG.JPG"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\08- Qtime.MOV"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\2005-07-23-173621_Barcelone_Ramblas.JPG"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\waiting.avi"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\2005-07-23-174855_Barcelone_Ramblas.JPG"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\Update.avi"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\2005-07-23-182158_Barcelone_Ramblas.JPG"
"E:\Diaporama\Samples\02- 3GP.3gp"

User avatar
B.Douille
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Hte Savoie - France

Blank videos in slide show / diaporama: a workaround

Post by B.Douille » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Last news, actualy a pretty good one. I have found a workaround applicable a least for notebooks. It may also help understanding the root cause and have a fix.

As I noticed from my previous tests, pretty all notebooks have the problem and the only desktop PC where it occured was set with a dual-screen video. In both case the graphic card has a dual-port output.

The Workaround:
On a notebook, the solution is to set the display setting to have both internal and external screen active at the same time (copy, not a desktop extension). Doing so I never see any video blanked. Commution to single screen (either internal or external) and the problem occurs randomely but immediately.

Hope this helps debugging this issue, in addition to my previous comments.

Regards,

Daniel

User avatar
B.Douille
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Hte Savoie - France

Blank videos in slide show / diaporama: Fixed! Thanks

Post by B.Douille » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:13 pm

:D

I tested the last (Beta 1) version and it works fine on every machine I had under my hands.

The workaround is still usefull for those that are using the release version.

Many thanks Pierre

Post Reply