More customization for Labels?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

More customization for Labels?

Post by Olivier_G » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:03 am

Label is an excellent feature... however it is limited by the fixed formatting (ie: 1 line per entry) and by the 10 entries maximum.
:arrow: I would prefer the much more flexible editable box as in Fullscreen>Show information (+formatting items) in order to optimize data, space and clarity.

The drawback is that the editable box would be more complex to use than the current '2 boxes' selection... :(

Opinions? Other solutions?
Last edited by Olivier_G on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 29744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: More customization (editable box) for Labels?

Post by xnview » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:28 am

Olivier_G wrote:Label is an excellent feature... however it is limited by the fixed formatting (ie: 1 line per entry) and by the 10 entries maximum.
:arrow: I would prefer the much more flexible editable box as in Fullscreen>Show information (+formatting items) in order to optimize data, space and clarity.

The drawback is that the editable box would be more complex to use than the current '2 boxes' selection... :(

Opinions? Other solutions?
Yes, but i think that will be very complex....
Pierre.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Some brainstorming... :arrow: ...and results
1. Simplify the complete editable box... :arrow: I couldn't (only small improvements detected)
2. Allow customization with the 2 boxes selection... :arrow: Hardly possible (probably more complex than 1)

3. Use 'Show expert options' to toggle between '2 boxes selection' and 'editable box'(in expert mode)... :arrow: Oh? Interesting... :idea: ...but requires that other feature to be implemented.
4. Improve the current '2 boxes selection' by providing packaged data items instead of individual data items... :arrow: OH YEAH!!! :D


I'll keep 3 in mind (and strongly support that 'Show expert options' suggestion).

Meanwhile, I will make suggestions to provide better packages for the current '2 boxes selection'. More to follow....
Olivier

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 pm

First label package: [EXIF Lens&Exposure] = [Focal length]+"mm f/"+[F-Number]+" "+[Exposure time]+"s "+[ISO value]+"iso"

- Focal length should be a number (with 1 decimal at max, only if required). 35mm Equivalence may be tricky...
- F-number should be a number with always 1 decimal (and only 1)
- Exposure time should be a number with no decimal down to 1s, and presented as a fraction below
(-> for my camera, currently, you should remove the "." at the end of [Focal length] and remove the 2 decimals of [Exposure time] when longer than 1s. Everything else is fine)

Then, you would get a single data line like:

Code: Select all

50mm f/2.0 6s 200iso
...instead of 4 less readable lines:

Code: Select all

50.
2.0
6.00
200
Your opinion? Ideas/comments?
Olivier

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:27 pm

I would also like that package: [Image properties]+" - "+[File size].

Some people may look deeper at the IPTC fields, but that's about all I can see for now... :? ...more ideas?
Olivier

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 29744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:45 pm

Olivier_G wrote:I would also like that package: [Image properties]+" - "+[File size].

Some people may look deeper at the IPTC fields, but that's about all I can see for now... :? ...more ideas?
So perhaps having the possibility to add 5 custom fields, and editing them???
Pierre.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:17 pm

xnview wrote:So perhaps having the possibility to add 5 custom fields, and editing them???
I believe that just adding a few 'hard-coded' packages like those described before would be better: easy and convenient to use, easier to implement and clearer interface overall.

It would be enough for short/mid term needs... and the more flexible editable box in expert mode would even become a low priority item... :P
Olivier

User avatar
Clo
XnThusiast
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 am
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

Active plugin ?

Post by Clo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:10 pm

—> Olivier_G

:) Hello, bonsoir!

• In fact, you request something similar to the topic of THAT THREAD
I think that it isn't too late to support this proposal, many purposes are possible… :P

- Please, notice that the example given there is not restrictive !
- Such plugins¦packs could be used to patch¦improve other functions, i.e. those you need here.
- And "A little bird" told me that finally, Pierre thinks to this too… ;)

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 29744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:29 pm

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:So perhaps having the possibility to add 5 custom fields, and editing them???
I believe that just adding a few 'hard-coded' packages like those described before would be better: easy and convenient to use, easier to implement and clearer interface overall.

It would be enough for short/mid term needs... and the more flexible editable box in expert mode would even become a low priority item... :P
Yes, some user would like (perhaps) "[Image properties] - [File size]", some other "[Image properties] - [File size] Kb", ...
Pierre.

Post Reply