Bugs which have been reproduced by a second user or the developer, or features to do
Moderators: helmut, XnTriq, xnview, Dreamer
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:30 pm
It would be great to have an option in the "import and sort" function to move the image files instead of copying them.
My main use case for using this function is to organise image files from amalgamations into a date-oriented directory-tree.
Being able to move files instead of copying has the following benefits:
- Much faster, if both source and target are on the same filesystem, when the OS's filesystem moving function is used
- Preserves file creation dates, which is sometimes preferred, again, if the OSs filesystem function is used.
Additionally, an option to prune empty directories from the source would help speed things, and make troubleshooting easier and safer.
- Posts: 1600
- Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:31 am
It is, in fact, this is THE standard use case.
Many of us need this huge small improvement in Import & Sort subsystem.
I would implement it by using the same UI panel from the „Batch Convert” dialog:
1. change in the above UI „conversion” with „Import”
2. Use „Move” engine instead of „Copy” if the „Clear the Input file(s)” is checked. Perhaps Pierre can put the appropriate caption on that checkbox but this is optional.
In fact, I would dare to say that the default state of the checkbox (state which should be preserved between the sessions) should be Checked, because the main use case of the dialog is to Import the photos from the memory card to our computer.
Another note: the same request was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=29752&p=134952
...and here: viewtopic.php?p=138056#p138056
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.0 64bit on Win10 x64 -