1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: xnview, Dreamer

cicciobello
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by cicciobello »

Open a directory in browser with videos. -> Don't play videos <-
Video file rename: no problem.
Video file delete: no problem.

But:

Double click to a video file -> open video in external player -> close player.

Rename this video: error to rename (but sometimes it works!).
Delete this video: video thumbnail disappear, but video file still here. Refresh browser: video file appear again.
Every now and then, however, deleting a video already seen in the external player works (!).

The external video player does not remain in memory, all autoplay disabled.

Win x64. Tested on NTFS and BRTFS, same problems.
User avatar
Scargoth
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by Scargoth »

J'ai régulièrement le même problème...
J'ai donc pris l'habitude, pour limiter sa survenue, de sélectionner plusieurs fichiers, de telle sorte que le fichier "courant" ne soit pas une vidéo, lorsque je veux déplacer ou supprimer une ou des vidéos.

J'avais un temps observé que l'aperçu posait effectivement problème.

Actuellement, j'ai surtout le problème lorsque la vidéo est "ouverte" dans un onglet, à mon insu...
En général elle se trouve ouverte dans un onglet parce que une image était ouverte et a été, par exemple, supprimée, et que l'onglet a ouvert le fichier suivant... se trouvant être la vidéo en question.

Lorsqu'une vidéo est ouverte dans une fenêtre de XnView, elle devrait être fermée (comme le sont les images) au moment de sa suppression (suppression ou déplacement), il faudrait que XnView "vérifie" si la vidéo est utilisée par XnView, avant la suppression ou au moment de l'erreur pour la fermer afin de pouvoir la supprimer.
(je dis ça avec mes mots, je ne suis pas développeur et ce n'est peut-être pas une bonne piste de solution ...)
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 48711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by xnview »

cicciobello wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2026 3:45 pm Double click to a video file -> open video in external player -> close player.
You means in viewer tab, right?
Rename this video: error to rename (but sometimes it works!).
Delete this video: video thumbnail disappear, but video file still here. Refresh browser: video file appear again.
do you close the tab with video?
cicciobello
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by cicciobello »

xnview wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2026 5:54 am
cicciobello wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2026 3:45 pm Double click to a video file -> open video in external player -> close player.
You means in viewer tab, right?

No, in Browser. I don't use Viewer or Tabs.
Rename this video: error to rename (but sometimes it works!).
Delete this video: video thumbnail disappear, but video file still here. Refresh browser: video file appear again.
do you close the tab with video?
No, I don't use Tabs. I just double click on a video in the browser, view the video in the external player, close the external player.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 48711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by xnview »

cicciobello wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2026 2:57 pm No, I don't use Tabs. I just double click on a video in the browser, view the video in the external player, close the external player.
please send you xnview.ini?
cicciobello
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by cicciobello »

xnview wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2026 12:24 pm please send you xnview.ini?
Here.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 48711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by xnview »

cicciobello wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2026 4:55 pm Here.
Thanks. So i start XnView, double on video file, close external player, remove video file, and it works... :(
cicciobello
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by cicciobello »

xnview wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2026 1:32 pm Thanks. So i start XnView, double on video file, close external player, remove video file, and it works... :(
It doesn't always happen. Sometimes it is very frequent, sometimes never.
Now I don't consider it a bug, but a feature. :-(
akramar
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by akramar »

The bug is still here in 1.11.4 beta Qt6. I extra downloaded Qt6 because of this but no change.
My default video player is Media Player Classic. My default video editor is Avidemux.
I dont have autoplay or preview enabled, only thumbnails.

1. Sometimes it is enough to just open a folder with video files and some will not delete or rename.

2. I double click video, it opens in MPC
I close MPC
I press Delete on keyboard. If video thumbnail dissapears instantly it has been deleted.
If it dissapears more slowly it is still there. I press Refresh and it is still there.
I minimize Xnview MP, try to delete or rename file in Windows.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it says cannot do it because file is in use by Xnview MP.

3. The same happens if I open and close video in Avidemux

This is happening on two computers, one with Win10, the other with Win11.
realg
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 3:30 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by realg »

I'm also struggling with this bug on latest v1.11.7, (Win10 22H2, files on a SMB mounted share).

I was hoping to provide more information than just "also doesn't work for me" but after spending an hour trying various things I just cannot nail down a reliable trigger, seems to be totally random (but mostly broken, at least in my case, with an occasional rare success when deleting mp4 files). Image files are never affected, just mp4 files (possibly other video formats? my use case is just H264/AVC .mp4).

As others have mentioned in this thread when it's in this broken state trying to move the file using XnView to another dir fails (copies the file but fails on the remove) - however deleting or moving the same file using Windows Explorer does work.

What seemed to fix it, at least short term, was to delete/rebuild the thumbnail cache, that made it work for a while (but closing/reopening XnView to the same dir a while later and it's again broken)... Anecdotally it also seems to me like the bug is more likely to trigger when browsing a directory with a bunch (50+) of mp4 files, rather than just a small handful. I was not able to reproduce the bug by copying a small (<10) amount of mp4 files to a new directory and then testing deletes from XnView, that seemed to always work.

...so this vaguely points to the thumbnail generation for mp4 as the cause, XnView not properly releasing the file after reading it to create the thumbnail or something?
akramar
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: 1.9.4 - Cannot delete selected video file

Post by akramar »

I fixed it. I downloaded the version 1.8.8 and it works fine. No need to reinstall, just download ZIP and replace XnView folder.