Straighten image

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
shkin
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 am

Straighten image

Post by shkin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Hello.

How complicated it would be to implement the straighten image functionality? The way it is done in Picasa is perfect. It shows the grid and let you drag the slider left and right rotating and adjusting the image accordingly. And, while I am on it, it would be great to have spherical and trapezoid correction tools as well.

Thanks.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31504
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Straighten image

Post by xnview » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:17 pm

shkin wrote:Hello.

How complicated it would be to implement the straighten image functionality? The way it is done in Picasa is perfect. It shows the grid and let you drag the slider left and right rotating and adjusting the image accordingly. And, while I am on it, it would be great to have spherical and trapezoid correction tools as well.

Thanks.
Currently you can activate the grid, and make the rotation.
Pierre.

shkin
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 am

Re: Straighten image

Post by shkin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:15 pm

xnview wrote:
shkin wrote:Hello.

How complicated it would be to implement the straighten image functionality? The way it is done in Picasa is perfect. It shows the grid and let you drag the slider left and right rotating and adjusting the image accordingly. And, while I am on it, it would be great to have spherical and trapezoid correction tools as well.

Thanks.
Currently you can activate the grid, and make the rotation.
Thanks for the answer, Pierre.

Current implementation is very useful, however it would be great to see three improvements to it:

1. Automatic grid or "show grid" option in custom rotation dialog.

2. Smoother slider move. (Right now 1 degree adjustments by slider are too fast, while the field arrows adjustments are too slow).

3. And the main thing is to add an automatic crop of the border areas keeping the aspect ratio but removing the non rectangular parts.

Thanks again.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:23 pm

I also see a strong need for this. Please note that most aspects have been suggested and discussed in topic "Rotation based on the horizon line +auto-crop option".

And I'm pretty sure our librarian 'XnTriq' could find many more related posts which emphasize the need for an improvement, here.

shkin
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 am

Post by shkin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:36 pm

helmut wrote:I also see a strong need for this. Please note that most aspects have been suggested and discussed in topic "Rotation based on the horizon line +auto-crop option".

And I'm pretty sure our librarian 'XnTriq' could find many more related posts which emphasize the need for an improvement, here.
Thanks, Helmut.

I saw that thread, but since my suggestion is slightly different I decided to open a new one and give the whole topic a small boost. :)

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:39 pm

shkin wrote:I saw that thread, but since my suggestion is slightly different I decided to open a new one and give the whole topic a small boost. :)
Yes, a boost is a good idea. I really think that improved rotation with grid display and automatic cropping should be one of the top issues for the next major release.

shkin
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 am

Post by shkin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:41 pm

helmut wrote:
shkin wrote:I saw that thread, but since my suggestion is slightly different I decided to open a new one and give the whole topic a small boost. :)
Yes, a boost is a good idea. I really think that improved rotation with grid display and automatic cropping should be one of the top issues for the next major release.
Great. Now I can only hope that the boost will work.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5430
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Post by XnTriq » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:50 pm

helmut wrote:And I'm pretty sure our librarian 'XnTriq' could find many more related posts which emphasize the need for an improvement, here.
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3211]PTLens plugin results in grayscale image[/url]) wrote:
guest343 wrote:Are there any other plugins that work with xnview and can correct barrel distortion?
helmut ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=8786]ShiftN - Correction of perspective distortion[/url]) wrote:ShiftN - Automatic correction of converging lines
When taking photos of high buidling, your image will have a perpective distortion. For correcting you can use graphic programs like FixFoto. The free software ShiftN can do it automatically.

shkin
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 am

Post by shkin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 am

After testing custom rotate with the real out of camera not yet re-sized images I have to add that another important improvement should be the speed of showing the effect on the image.

It seems to me that the option "Apply to image" in the effects dialogs is applying them to the actual files, however for the speed concern it would make sense to apply them to the visible re-sized copy. At the end the effect should only be applied to the actual image if the user proceeds with the action. I think that is how Picasa works with complicated effects (e.g. straighten, selective b/w) and that is what makes it so quick.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Thank you very much, XnTriq, for gathering all those related topics. Now that we have about 40.000 posts it's very good to have a librarian. :-) And there's even a French topic with a link to BabelFish - cool! 8)

XnView should provide good support for basic image processing. From my point of view, deskewing and rotating is one of those basic features.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5430
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Post by XnTriq » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:55 pm

helmut wrote:Thank you very much, XnTriq, for gathering all those related topics. Now that we have about 40.000 posts it's very good to have a librarian. :-) And there's even a French topic with a link to BabelFish - cool! 8)
OK, that's it. No more free-rides from now on. It's time to charge for my invaluable services. :P
  • Image Image

User avatar
klapperstorch
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:43 am

Distortion

Post by klapperstorch » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:13 am

I would like to see a DISTORTION function in XnView, similar to the one provided by Photoshop.
When distortion is activated you can grab the corner of an image with the mouse and drag it in any direction. The picture will be distorted appropriately.
This is most useful to remove converging lines.
I know that there are other programs which do this (e.g. ShiftN). But they do it automatically while I'd prefer to drag manually. Photoshop allows this but is too complicated to handle. And why use another program. I'm confident, that such a function, if implemented in XnView, would be much easier to use.

Post Reply