Smooth image ahead

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Smooth image ahead

Post by Dreamer » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:52 pm

Option "Smooth image ahead" (for the next and current/prev. image), similar to "Read image ahead". Image ahead, in cache would be in high quality, smoothed and when I switch to that image, there would be no delayed HQ effect, all would be processed in the background.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:23 am

I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.

Olivier

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:37 am

I agree.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31267
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:01 am

Olivier_G wrote:I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.
Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
Pierre.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:56 pm

xnview wrote:Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
I believe it could be implemented this way:
- if HQ has to be applied (cf options and image), pre-render HQ in cache
- if HQ hasn't to be applied (cf options and image), don't do HQ
...it shouldn't slow down things this way, and you don't need a new setting to manage HQ & Cache.

Olivier
PS: by the way, what is HQ exactly? Is it a bilinear interpolation? Something else?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31267
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
I believe it could be implemented this way:
- if HQ has to be applied (cf options and image), pre-render HQ in cache
- if HQ hasn't to be applied (cf options and image), don't do HQ
...it shouldn't slow down things this way, and you don't need a new setting to manage HQ & Cache.

Olivier
PS: by the way, what is HQ exactly? Is it a bilinear interpolation? Something else?
Yes bilinear
Pierre.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:23 pm

xnview wrote:Yes bilinear
Perfect :D ...thank you for the info.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:02 am

xnview wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.
Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
I don't think so, it should first "read image ahead", then "smooth image ahead", so when I switch to next image between these two steps, image should be shown in normal (not high) quality and HQ should be processed the same way as now - delayed HQ while image is shown in normal quality.

Even if it's not possible, it could be a bit slower (just in some cases), but still better than current delayed HQ, I think.

Edit: If someone wants view images very quickly, hotkey to enable/disable HQ would be very useful, OT, I know, but should be easy to implement...

- Toggle between normal and high quality view - Numpad Del / . or/and Shift+Q

Hotkeys / Shortcuts Request List link.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 am

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.
Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
I don't think so, it should first "read image ahead", then "smooth image ahead", so when I switch to next image between these two steps, image should be shown in normal (not high) quality and HQ should be processed the same way as now - delayed HQ while image is shown in normal quality.

Even if it's not possible, it could be a bit slower (just in some cases), but still better than current delayed HQ, I think.
I agree. If things are implemented properly I think that an option "Smooth image ahead" is not needed at all.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:07 am

Any update about pre-rendering HQ in cache?
(I would love it in addition to this improvement :P )
Olivier

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31267
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:51 am

Olivier_G wrote:Any update about pre-rendering HQ in cache?
(I would love it in addition to this improvement :P )
I don't know yet if i could add this feature...
Pierre.

Just Passing
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Post by Just Passing » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi, I really hope you manage to implement this. It would be very useful.
(I just posted the same request here (I didn't realise this thread already existed).

To be honest, all I want is a full-screen image viewer that can do HQ preloading. The other XnView features ( e.g. browsing) are just nice extras for me.

Thanks,
Vince.

Just Passing
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Post by Just Passing » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:27 am

Does anyone else find it a bit annoying that the image appears, then a second later the HQ image appears? My wife asks me "why does the picture keep moving?".

User avatar
foxyshadis
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 am

Post by foxyshadis » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:07 pm

Just Passing wrote:Does anyone else find it a bit annoying that the image appears, then a second later the HQ image appears? My wife asks me "why does the picture keep moving?".
That behavior is actually controlled by "Use delayed high quality", which is a tradeoff for how fast you want something displayed.

Just Passing
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Post by Just Passing » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Yes I know. The whole point of this thread is that "delayed high quality" is unnecessary if the next image is cached as HQ.

Post Reply