Code: Select all
General Keyboard/Mouse Default file list Read/Write (tabs Read, Write) Plugin Adobe 8bf Interface Toolbar (tabs General, Buttons displayed, Skin) Browser File list (tabs General, Items displayed, Cache) Thumbnails (tabs General, Appearance, Labels) Folder tree Preview View (tabs General, Misc) Fullscreen System integration Associations
- current options categories have not quite logical layout
- many options are simply placed in wrong places
- managing shortcuts and default file lists are made new features, with roots in existing ones;
- current options tree is big & hard to navigate
Why doing it like this:
Here's a discussion: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4372
- no more options tree, just indented list
- tabs introduced to make options tree a list which is always wholly visible (easier to navigate) and to logically group options that cannot fit into one page
- new feature (worth its own thread): General>Keyboard/Mouse is general shortcut manager for the whole XnView (enables fe. setting Ctrl+S for Save as or defining action for RMB+wheel in Compare window)- definite solution to problems "what a shortcut for an option should be" and "add RMB+wheel support to Compare" etc.
- General>Read/Write are now two tabs with drop-down lists to choose elements now accessible in Read and Write branches; relevant options are displayed below
- Language changed into one drop-down list
- new Default File list item; there you can define default file list for different options, like Fullscreen, View, Slide Show, Web page etc.; based on current Browser>Misc
- there is still place for a few items in options list
- quite a few options moved to other places
What happened to:
General>Startup - moved to General
General>Recent lists - moved to Interface
General>Switching modes - integrated with General>Keyboard/Mouse
Browser>Open action - integrated with General>Keyboard/Mouse
Browser>Misc - moved to Default file list
View>File list - moved to View>Misc
View>Quick Slide Show - moved to View>Misc
View>Keyboard/Mouse - integrated with General>Keyboard/Mouse
Slide Show - moved completely out of Options, to Slide Show window
Tabs - moved to Interface
Language - move to Interface
Install - moved to System Integration
So what is where now (detailed option moves and final contents of General):
General: Delete to Recycle Bin, Confirm file delete, Disable GIF/JIF/ANI animation, Enable BMP Animation, For 'Save as' use same original pathname&format, Maximize XnView as Startup, Start View in Fullscreen, Only one instance, Use all formats avaliable, Launch Browser at startup, Startup directury group box, Use delayed high quality pictures larger than... (because affects both Browser and View)
Interface: Remember last window position/size, Use different position/size for browser & view, Single ESC to Exit, Add 'Exit' to context menus, Always on Top, Use XP style menus, General>Recent lists, Tabs group box, Language
Browser: Open one View per selected image
Browser>File list>General: Show tooltips,
View>General: Open HexaView if not a picture
After 'Save as', change filename - this option is not needed. Windows default behaviour is like with this option turned on and I cannot find any reason to use another.
Other issues, someway related to options:
Rename "file list" to "file sequence" when refering to sequence of images on which operations are performed, not to mistake it for file list displayed in browser.
Rename "cache" to "buffer" in View>File list, not to mistake it for file list cache
Sort out file recognition problems (Browser>File list>Recognize only... and Scan file headers...)- maybe only option renaming is necessary maybe not. What is an use for an option if no one (author included) seems to know exactly how they work?
Sort out problems with MDI- patch MDI at last so it behaves OK, change framework- I don't know. But user experience quality suffers and problems with it are reported all the time as BUGS.