Add & cut off margins

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
DOS386
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Add & cut off margins

Post by DOS386 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:31 pm

Suggestion: adding and cutting margins.

There should be a possibility to add a margin (same witdth for all 4 sides or 4
different widths) with selection of background colour to be added.

And removing a margin / cutting: same width for all 4 sides or 4 different
widths.

Possibility to specify the width by typing from keyboard in pixels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this great free prog. :) There are very few bugs :bug: only. I am
using PAINT (more buggy) besides it for some activities not yet supported
by XNVIEW, like margin editing & painting.
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Add & cut off margins

Post by helmut » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:14 pm

NTOSKRNL_VXE wrote:Suggestion: adding and cutting margins.

There should be a possibility to add a margin (same witdth for all 4 sides or 4
different widths) with selection of background colour to be added.

And removing a margin / cutting: same width for all 4 sides or 4 different
widths.

Possibility to specify the width by typing from keyboard in pixels.
Thank you for your suggestion and welcome to the forum, NTOSKRNL_VXE. The function "Resize canvas" (Image > Resize Canvas) with position "center" and keep ratio is pretty much does what you want. But currently one can only set the new canvas size by percentage. A size delta in pixel would be really good.

Related topics:
- canvas resize by adding "delta" values in XnView
- batch frame making ... size delta
- batch border

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NTOSKRNL_VXE wrote:Thanks for this great free prog. :) There are very few bugs :bug: only. I am
using PAINT (more buggy) besides it for some activities not yet supported
by XNVIEW, like margin editing & painting.
Thanks, good to hear. :-) Personally I also use MS Paint every now and then but have found little bugs so far. "Undo" of Paint is sometimes buggy, though.

User avatar
DOS386
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: margins

Post by DOS386 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:04 pm

helmut wrote:
The function "Resize canvas" (Image > Resize Canvas) with position "center"
and keep ratio is pretty much does what you want. But currently one can
only set the new canvas size by percentage. A size delta in pixel would be
really good.
Thanks. :-) It does partially. It does allow to add margins, but only same
number of pixels on 4 sides, and the new colour is always black.

There could be a "Image size" menu Item or Submenu, splitting into
"resample" , "lossless resample" , "margin delta pixel" , "canvas size" ,
and "Change DPI"

Lossless: growing by integer factor only, shrinking only by integer factor
and only after grow by same factor. The default "Lancosz" ruins image
quality when trying to grow by integer factor, and converts everything
into True-Color.

All edits should display the old values (X-size & Y-size, DPI), UNEDITABLE,
and below an extra field for editing.

And, this ??? (how is it called ???) "menu"

is rather anti-intuitive (unlike most of XN-View activities) and could
disappear and be replaced by some "preferred" values (50%, 25%, 200%)
activable by a click to a button or a "radio" or how is it called (checkbox
but only one option can be selected) and an additional editing field for
other values.

The "Print size" could (???) disappear from "resample" & "canvas" menus
because this can be set while printing by the zoom factor to any value from zero
to infinity (almost :mrgreen:) and the "DPI" value, while resampling image
because of print size ruins image quality for no acceptable reason.
Last edited by DOS386 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.

mel2000
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:54 am

Post by mel2000 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:02 am

I'm looking to create the effect of one of those old Polaroid snapshot frames where the bottom border is much longer than the top. I would likeXnView to allow users to set the border/canvas size of the top and bottom, or right and left individually. Currently the top and bottom or right and left borders must be set the same length.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 am

mel2000 wrote:I'm looking to create the effect of one of those old Polaroid snapshot frames where the bottom border is much longer than the top. ...
With batch processing you can add borders with different widths.

Applying "Resize Canvas" twice with different position will do the job:

1.) With menu "Tools > Batch processing" open the "Batch processing" dialog.
2.) Specify output format and output dir (e.g. $\converted)
3.) Switch to tab "Transformation"
4.) Add transformation "Resize Canvas"
5.) As parameters of "Resize Canvas" you specify:
Width: 20
Height: 20 <Here, specify the number of pixels you want to have for the top border>
[x] Use above values as size delta
Position [Bottom-Center]

6.) Add transformation "Resize Canvas" for a second time
7.) As parameters of "Resize Canvas" you specify:
Width: 0
Height: 20 <Here, specify the number of pixels you want for the bottom border>
[x] Use above values as size delta
Position [Top-Center]

8.) Start processing by selecting "Go".
Done.

User avatar
Peter2
XnThusiast
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: CH

Post by Peter2 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:24 am

Hello

here

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14295

I made already a suggestion for "cropping +/- tolerance".

Peter
XnView 2.48 German, Win 7 x64 Prof. / Win 10

Post Reply